Sunday, March 1, 2009

Where's my purple crayon?


Do you remember the old childrens' book "Harold and the Purple Crayon"? Maybe this will jog your memory (from the inside cover)... One evening Harold decided to go for a walk in the moonlight. But there wasn't any moon, and Harold needed a moon for a walk in the moonlight. Fortunately, he had brought his purple crayon. So he drew a moon. He also needed something to walk on. So he drew a path...

Everything Harold imagined, came to be with the stroke of a hand and his trusty purple crayon. For a day of excitement, fear, love, joy, or horror, he needed nothing else. He could determine what came next, who he would encounter, where he would go, and how he would get there. The author Crockett Johnson had a rich imagination?

Sometimes I wonder where my own purple crayon adventure would lead. If I allowed myself to think as freely as a child, where would life take me? Would I continue to sit under a pile of paper and meetings at work? Would I watch reality TV from the couch in the evenings? Would I drive the same route to work and back day after day?

I'm at a point where I need to find my purple crayon and see the possibilities.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I actually just read this book with Hailey about 2 weeks ago. She thought it was pretty cute and so did I. I didn't remember reading this book as a child.

Val's Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones