Saturday, March 7, 2009

First Memories

My 5-year old son continues to bring me back to my own childhood. I think he's alot like I was as 5-year old, but probably much smarter. I wonder what he'll remember from this time in his life. I think my own first memories come from the time I was 5.
























I don't remember much about Mrs. Baumgartner's half-day kindergarten class, but I remember the other half of my day pretty clearly. Because my parents worked, I went home with Betsy and her mom who lived in an old, but update farmhouse about a mile and a half away from my own house. Betsy was the same age as me, and was my afternoon playmate. Her mom was creative, strict, and an immaculate housekeeper. Their house had a food pantry, a dishwasher, an old barn with a rope swing, a playhouse in the backyard, and "quicksand" in the attic (I should really get clarification on this.)

This week, my brother e-mailed me this photo of Betsy and I standing in front of the doors to our beloved Harrison Elementary School. I have no idea what the flowers were for, but from this photo I sense the same carefree "no worries" feeling that my little boy probably feels right now. Although somewhat pitiful, we look downright innocent, fragile, and maybe even angelic.

Were we ever so carefree?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often wonder about what Jenna will remember during these early days, too. The time goes so quickly! Love the picture...it's precious.

Anonymous said...

Val, that photo is hilarious! I'd like to have a copy of it. It felt good to have you stay at Billey's after school but I don't remember it was on a regular basis. No matter, I did appreciate their willingness to watch you. Memories are so precious. Mom

Unknown said...

The first thing I saw in this pic were the doors and I knew exactly what I was seeing. I was only at Harrison for a year and a half. It's so weird how our minds work. I was actually just telling Elijah about how I remember Betsy's mom coming into our class with Mrs. Phipps and teaching us about different birds in the area and the fun crafts we used to do that tied in to the particular bird.

Val's Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones