Monday, March 16, 2009

Spring Break is Coming














Last weekend I went to my parents house and unearthed a box labeled "Val's Photo Albums." A box of memories from my high school and junior high school years stared me in the face. I loaded it into the trunk of my car and left it there until yesterday. I opened the albums on the porch in the sun as my husband cleaned and washed my car. There were photos of people and places long-forgotten and events I thought I'd never forget, but have. These three particular pictures were a few taken on a Spanish Club trip to Mexico. Spring Break: 1992.

Spring Break was such a big deal. Students went crazy for a week off and looked forward to getting away. But didn't teachers too? My husband and I both work for the public schools, you'd think we plan family vacations during our summers off and spring breaks. Some cultural or historic sites or a tropical getaway?

As spring break approaches, I find myself daydreaming of clear blue waters surrounding my island paradise, rich with the smells of coconut suntan lotion and pina coladas. Carefree days without wearing a watch, and digging my toes in the warm sand. But, the truth is... we'll probably stay close to home and paint the walls or have the carpet cleaned...maybe do some more furniture shopping or take a day trip to a local attraction. And maybe I'll still take off the watch and sip a pina colada or two, just without the scent of coconut and I won't have to deal with sand in my bathing suit.

No comments:

Val's Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones