Sunday, December 14, 2008

Homemade Christmas Ornaments

I must give credit to a 2nd grade teacher at Holy Family School for this recipe. Her class was making these ornaments when I was there on Wednesday, and no matter where I was in the school, I could smell the cinnamon... so good and Christmasy. She was kind enough to let me have her leftover dough and the recipe so that we could make our own at home. They were so simple and I think they turned out beautifully. They're something I'd like to make each Christmas, with a new picture of my little boy every year.



Cinnamon-Applesauce Christmas Ornaments

Needed:
1/2 cup ground cinnamon
1/2 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons white glue
1 heavy duty zipper bag
wax paper
cookie cutter
straw
lid from salad dressing
10-inch lenghth narrow ribbon
child's photograph

Instructions:
Measure cinnamon, applesauce and glue into the zipper bag. Zip. Mix the bag by mashing with hands. Place ball of dough on wax paper. Pat or roll flat to the thickness of gingerbread cookies. Use a holiday cookie cutter to cut the ornaments. Use the straw to punch out a hole at the top of the ornament so that it can be hung by ribbon later. Use the salad dressing lid to punch out a circle in the middle of the ornament for the picture to show through later. Peel up the surrounding dough and let the ornaments dry at least 24 hours. Halfway through drying, gently flip the ornaments. When completely dried, thread the ribbon through the small hole and tie it off. Affix the photgraph from the back. Hang from a doorknob or your Christmas tree. Enjoy all season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I received one of these ornaments with Derek's picture. It smelled great. Thanks. Grandma B.

Val's Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones