Monday, December 15, 2008

Follow Up to "One of Those Days"

In a recent post titled "One of Those Days," I wallowed in the disappointment of breaking my school soup bowl, having the Christmas tree ornaments I decorated the teachers lounge with turn up missing, and snapping at a co-worker in a rude email. By the end of the day I was disgusted with myself.

My, how things have turned around. Let me share...

The rude email situation- The next day, I received a phone call regarding the co-worker situation. Because of a severe hearing loss, the woman didn't call me herself but relayed the information through a colleague-friend of mine. She helped the woman understand where I was coming from and managed to turn the situation around completely. I was relieved. Shortly afterward, I had an email apology from the woman which made me feel terrible. I quickly responded with my own apology, and I think she understood. I still wish I hadn't sent the email, but I began to feel a little better about it. I just haven't let myself completely off the hook.

The missing ornaments situation- Not knowing where my ornaments had walked off to, the school principal made announcement for me asking that whoever "picked up" my decorations for me, be sure to return them. It worked. The next morning, I found my ornaments safe and sound in the teachers lounge. I don't know where they had been, but it didn't really matter. I had my snowmen back and a renewed faith in the people I work with.

And finally, the broken bowl- Without a bowl, I haven't been able to have soup at school since this incident. I've joked at lunch about the frozen dinners I've been eating. I just haven't allowed myself to buy a new bowl because I'm the one who broke it... even though I would have replaced it by now if someone else had done it. Anyway, this morning after getting some business done around school, Miss Kate a preschool teacher saw me and said she had just left something for me on my desk. She had been the person opened up to and shared that day's misfortunes to. She listened, sympathized, cared and understood. Well, I returned to my office today to find a gift delicately wrapped in pink tissue paper and red ribbon. Inside the tissue paper was a stone-colored, hand-painted ceramic bowl and a bag of ready-to-make soup. As I admired the beautiful bowl, my eyes welled up with tears. This kindness meant so much... it was a gift I hadn't asked for or hinted at. It wasn't a holiday or special occassion. It was unexpected, from the heart, and something I wasn't willing to do for myself. This woman who I met only months ago, saw a hurt and acted with such love and kindness.

When I grow up I want to be like Miss Kate.

No comments:

Val's Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones