Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Bear-y Unusual Adventure


At the beginning of the school year DT's kindergarten teacher sent home a letter telling about the class "share bear". It is a small fuzzy teddy bear packed with a journal inside a small fuzzy bear backpack. His name is Duncan and he goes home with someone different every Thursday after school and returns to class Friday. While he's gone, he writes about his adventures in his journal. And on Friday the teacher shares this adventure while the class sits in a circle with Duncan in the arms of whoever took him home.

Ben and I have had our schools' parent-teacher conferences on our calendar since the beginning of the school year. They were Thursday. And yes, it just happened to be the same day that DT unexpectedly was crowned the new care-giver of Duncan the coveted kindergarten share bear.

What a strange day. If I didn't know better, I wouldn't believe the story Duncan told in his journal entry that day. He and DT went home with the after-school care teacher, had dinner, and played games at her house all evening.

Now, I can only think of 3 other times we've used babysitters in the evening. Once when DT was 4 months old, I asked the Fox's from church to watch DT so that Ben and I could go to an employers Christmas party. Once my cousin Carrie watched DT so Ben and I could go see the pastor at church. And once last spring when I again asked Carrie so that I could go out for a "girls' night out" with some high school friends when Ben wasn't going to be home.

I don't feel good about asking people to do things for me. Baby-sitting included. I'm humbled. So, this time I say thanks to Mrs. Moffitt and her daughter Liesa for watching DT and Duncan, and for sharing Duncan's big adventure.


No comments:

Val's Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones