Friday, August 15, 2008

Advice: Take Prednisone if you get poison ivy.

After my last post I went to my new doctor. I had just established myself as a new patient with her a month ago. And I had told her that I rarely get sick. I do tend to get laryngitis at the end of each October... likely due to sinus drainage (nasty, sorry).

"Any other problems?" she asked.

"Not that I can think of," I quickly answered without once thinking about my crazily high susceptibility to contact dermititis... particularly the dreaded poison ivy. Oooohhhh!

I don't actually even have to come in contact with it anymore. I think I get it by breathing it's smoke if someone's burning it. I can look at it and get it. And now, evidentally, I can not even see it... and STILL get it.

The good doctor perscribed Prednisone. A steroid tablet taken in heavy doses at first, then in tapering doses. So, first 3 days I took 3 pills. Next 3 days I take 2 pills. Then, last 3 days I take 1 pill.

She said I'd see quick results and feel relief quickly. With the amount of itching I felt, I doubted her. I'd tried many medications in the past. This may have even been one... but maybe not the same doses. But I'm happy to say that 2 nights later... I look much better. And the itching is greatly relieved. I'd rate the itching a 2 out of 5... whereas on Wednesday I would've said a 10 out of 5.

This stuff works!

No comments:

Val's Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones