Sunday, November 23, 2008

Turkey, Ham or Pizza?

For several weeks I've been bummed that my husband, son and I had no Thanksgiving plans to look forward to. My sister's family which is 40 minutes away, is the only immediate family around and they spend holidays with her husband's parents.

I have 3 pairs of aunts and uncles and a 97-year old grandma within an hour of our house, but we rarely see any of them. If my parents were here, I know they'd have all the extended family over for Thanksgiving. Every family would bring something to go with turkey or ham, and we'd sit around, play games and enjoy each others company. But without my parents here it's just kinda strange.

We ran into the same situation last year. So Ben, DT and I drove out to Maryland to spend the holiday with my parents. This year they're in New Mexico which is too far to drive for the short weekend, and too expensive to fly. So... back to my original dilema. Bummed and lonely for the holiday.

I expressed my sadness to Ben. He suggested starting some home improvements. I suggested going to a bed and breakfast. Derek suggested having pizza. It just seemed so sad.

Then my sister called. She knew we didn't have plans and asked if her family could come over. Just when I thought pizza could honestly be in our future, a real Thanksgiving began to unfold.

No comments:

Val's Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones