Saturday, November 15, 2008

Loving and selfless, but not hip to pop culture!

My mom is staying with us this weekend. I'm loving it. She came by Amtrak last week from a 2-year Brethren Volunteer Service project in New Mexico to be here for the birth of my niece. She stayed at my sister's house during the week to help her at home when her husband's at work. Loving and selfless as usual.

We've had a great time with her today. She came after lunch, and I made a banana bread thinking she'd appreciate it, but when I saw how dark it was getting on top, I took it out of the oven 10 minutes prematurely. I shouldn't have. I didn't find out how doughy it still was in the middle until I cut into it 2 hours later. I'm no Rachael Ray!

In the 2 hours that the bread cooled, DT and I went shopping with mom at Kohl's and Family Christian Bookstore. Afterward we got Ben to take us to a soup supper fundraiser, and then he dropped mom and I off at church where a movie night was planned. We watched "Dan in Real Life" which was really good...in an emotional-romantic-drama way.

When we got home, I turned on The Food Network. Mom looked with intent for a moment and said seriously, "I think I know her or I've seen her before. Do you know who she is?"

I wanted to say, "What rock have you been hiding under?! Honestly!"

"Yeeaaaahhhh....(pause)....Rachael Ray," I responded, thinking she surely must be putting me on. But she was serious. She didn't know who Rachael Ray is. Not only has she hosted multiple Food Network shows, but she has now had a daytime talk show on NBC for several seasons.

But this incident reminds me of a comment she made in the late 80's. My sister had just gotten home from going to see "Ghost" with her friends and they were oohing and aahhing over Patrick Swayze. Mom overheard their excitement and said "Who?" They said "Patrick Swayze. He's so hot." And to that, mom said, "You saw him at the movies?" "Yeah, we just went to see 'Ghost'." Mom, still confused answered "I don't think I know him. And he go to NorthWood?" NorthWood was our high school!

No comments:

Val's Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones