Sunday, September 7, 2008

Gotta get on the bus...

The church that my family has been a part of for the past 5 years generally shows an outpouring of compassion when a family is in need. I've seen it over and over again. They see that financial and emotional needs are met when they are made known. The hard part tends to be making yourself vulnerable to sharing those needs.


A new situation has arisen, and now that my family is looking for another church and hasn't been there in awhile, I don't know whether the need is being addressed. I feel passionate about this issue, because my 97-year old grandmother is involved. She has been a member of the church her entire life and I feel she deserves the opportunity to remain an active member through these golden years.


My grandmother has never driven a car. My grandpa drove her when he was living, and when he died she moved to an independent-living apartment at Greencroft (a retirement community). Her 2 sons would transport her to appointments. And other church members living at Greencroft would take her to church. But, finally, that is no longer possible. Her oldest son now goes south for the cold seasons, and her youngest son (my dad) is serving the church through Brethren Volunteer Service for 2 years at a Navajo reservation in New Mexico. And the other church members who live at Greencroft who used to drive the group to church are no longer driving due to age and health issues. My grandmother and the other "Greencrofters" have no way to get to church.


So, do they sit back and accept that now in their final years they won't be involved in the church that they grew up in and raised their families in? Or can the church pull through for them?


Now, I'd never say this church is a group of visionarries or problem-solvers, but I'd think they can they see the need and consider it an outreach ministering to their own? With funds they've been blessed with, can they offer to transport the group of aging members who have given of themselves throughout the years?


Could a church bus/van meet the needs? And a paid driver for Sunday mornings? Something to consider.

No comments:

Val's Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones