Thursday, September 11, 2008

Is pollen the culprit?

Over the years I've found myself getting sick in the fall. It starts with a red, sore throat and then I lose my voice. A few sneezes, and drippy nose come the next day. Then, an evening of chills. And fatigue! Several days later, I begin coughing up (sorry to those with weak stomachs) thick, yellow phlegm. And with it...my chest hurts, upper airways feel tight. The low, fried voice remains for days. Mornings are the worst. If I wake up with a voice at all I'm lucky.

This is an annual event. Can I figure it out this year?

I went to my doctor on day 2 this time. I usally wait too long... when I'm dealing with the phlegm and airway problems. She took an inventory of my symptoms, looked in my ears, nose, and throat, and said it looks like allergies. She suggested I try over-the-counter Zyrtec for 7 days. She said if it's allergies, I'll feel better in that time. I just don't know. This is my 3rd day on Zyrtec and I feel so much worse! I didn't go to work yesterday or today. I'm now experiencing ALL of the aforementioned symptoms.

Now, I've dealt with this year after year and my symptoms have been treated in several ways. I've undergone adult tonsilectomy for the "chronic sore throats," countless antibiotics for "chronic sinus infections," and last fall I resorted to a the ancient neti pot which cleanses the nasal passages with possitive pressure using salt water.

I wonder...Could pollen be the culprit? I'll continue the Zyrtec for 4 more days and see. I just need relief. Any advice out there?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Val's Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones