Monday, July 7, 2008

Mindless Tasks

Some people have to be busy all the time. My husband, for example, becomes very irritable when he has a day off. Being school employees, we both have the summers off. He accepts odd jobs and has a long list of projects to get done at home as well. I, on the other hand, keep my days relatively free from obligations. I don't mind sitting outside in a lawn chair watching cotton from cottonwood trees float through the air until they're out of site. Or doing some mindless task that doesn't necessarily "have to" be done.

I don't consider my husband a work-aholic. Nor do I consider myself a slacker. But clearly we're different in this respect.

Yesterday and most of the morning today, I moved rocks. I saw how crazy and out-of-control our big flower garden had become. When we bought the house, we didn't know what to do about the massive area in our back yard. We've added some flowers and occassionally weeded, but we haven't put the necessary thought or time into it to really see it's beauty. So without a solid plan, I started by moving rocks. BIG, BIG rocks. I put the little ones in the wheelbarrow, and kept moving the big ones. Slowly, the flower garden began to take shape for me. A large oval around two gigantic pine trees. Miscellaneous flowers and vegetation remained inside the oval rock line. And outside of it. I don't want to keep the ones on the outside. I think we needed the downsize. So, now it's about half it's original size.

So this was my latest mindless task. Moving rocks. And was I was completely happy doing it.

No comments:

Val's Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones