Monday, June 30, 2008

facebook

I think I've started something within my household. I opened my blog just over a week ago. For those of you who read my first post, you'll remember that it was a stretch for me...learning the new technology and dipping my toes into the new century. It has been good, don't get me wrong. But I knew nothing about blogging before jumping in.

So, last night before bed I came to the computer to see what my husband was working on. About an hour earlier I caught him looking at plans for kids' playhouses and backyard play structures. He had actually gone so far as to render a 3D image using his Inventor software...very impressive. So, that's what I expected to see. But he had moved on.

He was responding to a dear friend (the cool ventriloquist at our wedding) on his facebook account. Facebook?!?

Not another new technology! Yes, I think I started something. Not to be outdone, my husband opened a facebook account.

Two summers ago I was a youth camp counselor at Camp Mack. The girls in my cabin wrote their myspace accounts on the cabin walls with permanent marker and would say "Find me on myspace." Not only did I not find them, but I still don't know what it is. The only description I ever heard was "It's a social networking site." And frankly, that didn't help. For a girl who would rather use a walkman because she doesn't know what MP3 is, you're gonna have to go into a more thorough discussion.

So, I'd like to know...what can any of you in blog world share with me about facebook? Talk slowly and assume I know nothing. Because, in reality I know nothing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright Val, here's the little help I can offer in regards to what facebook and/or myspace are. I am told that Facebook is similar to myspace. They are like having your own page in the high-school yearbook with whatever content you like so that people can look, you can show off, you can communicate back and forth, you can keep in touch, so on and so forth. It is used by kids to feel good about themselves in a popularity contest sort-of-way by seeing how many "friends" they can have on their myspace. It is used by families to communicate with eachother. It used by child predators to find child victims, obviously this is when it can be dangerous. It is used for marketing everything...music, film, clothes, anything media, and pretty much anything else. I use it to periodically keep in touch with old friends especially those from MAC, family, business associates, and interest groups. If you go and create a myspace, check mine out. To look me up use my email associated with this account theinfinitecreativity@yahoo.com. This will get you there. I hope to hear from you soon. Welcome to the new world.

Mike Bisceglia

Anonymous said...

hi val. I think it is great that you are learning about technology. personaly, i am very good with computers and things like myspace and face book. so if you need any help leave me a message @: www.imdiffrent-getoverit.blogger.com

Kenzi Broderick

Val's Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones