Thursday, July 10, 2008

Treasures Found...

I have the great fortune of being married to a man who does the laundry. It's true! In the last 2 years I've only started the washing machine once. And...he does it without me even asking. So, I rarely go down to the basement. It's unfinished and it has a nice big closed-off woodshop on one half and the laundry/deep freeze/furnace/storage on the other.

Well, last weekend my sweet laundry man came up from starting a load of laundry with a mysterious wet cardboard box. I began to dig through it. My husband had un-earthed a box of treasures from my past.

A handmade cloth doll with black yarn hair that was given to me when I was a little girl on a family vacation to a Navajo mission in Lybrook, New Mexico. So special I NEVER played with it.




A collection of tiny corked bottles that I saved from my grandma's auction after my grandpa passed away. All interestingly textured- the blue one like a chicken leg, green like a scaly fish, and gold square with apples on the front. Click the image to see what I mean.




A book. One of the beloved few and over-read books I remember having as a child. Kids these days (at least mine) have gobs of books cluttering the floors and seem to bring a new one for you to read every 5 minutes. But in the early 80's we just had a few that we read over and over. We relied on the school library.

A shoebox of snapshots from my first film camera, a 110. With pictures taken when I was in the 5th grade. Some girls "played house." My sister and I played "Star Search." It was the hot show at the time. And we were sure if we posed for some glamour shots in our own garage, we could make it to the top. So we modeled in our finest swimwear (please, tell me that we weren't the only ones who did this).



All of these things were treasures to me. I'm fortunate they weren't damaged by the water that had collected on our basement floor (most likely condensation). I'm not sure I want to put any of them back in the box. They deserve better. They deserve a place in my home... with the exception of the never-before seen, never-submitted Star Search photos.

And you may enjoy them here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH! I remember playing Star Search and I remember the picture of you, which was and still is cute. But the picture of the other "star" is another story. How embarrassing! I can't believe it. Too bad this "treasure" wasn't permanently damaged in your basement.

I've enjoyed all your other posts, but this one really took me by surprise. Don't worry, though. I'll just get you back somehow sometime:) Love you!

Val's Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones