Friday, June 20, 2008

Why am I blogging?

My sister asked me today if I ever blog.

Blog? It must be a verb. "It's on the computer right?" At age 32, I like to think myself young enough to know and understand current technology. After all, I'm a pretty average American woman. Wife. Mother. College-educated. Church-going. Professionally-employed. Tax-paying. Hoosier.

But, blogger? No.

My first encounter with a computer was in the 6th grade. My math teacher, Mr. Minnick, let us ford the streams and hunt the prarries of the "Oregon Trail" on Fridays if we had all of our work done.

I first learned about the internet in 1994 when I was a freshman at McPherson College. I was being told that you could just "search" for anything. Search??? Anything? I hardly believed it. My first search was "Days of Our Lives." And there it was. Albeit hard for me to understand how it came up on my computer.

Of course, I've heard the terms "blog" and "blogging" before today. But since they are so foreign to me, I've never even been interested enough in finding out exactly what it is, to try it... like Chinese math. No point in talking to me about it unless you can start from the beginning. It's all new to me.

So, my sister gave me a basic definition for "blogging" and said she'd read my blog.

Anita, here's to you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blogging had to happen soon after u started posting vids on Utube! Love to watch them by the way! Take care cuzin!

Yaya

Anonymous said...

Way to go Val.

Im proud of you jumping into technology feet first not knowing how deep the water might be long after they posted the signs that read shallow water.

Keep up the blogging and hope to read more real soon.

Anonymous said...

Blog is a verb when used in that form. It would be "to blog".

This can be conjugated into "blogging", as in...
What are you doing?
Duh, I'm blogging.

It can also be conjugated past tense into "blogged", as in...
Seriously, he blogged that awhile back, you are so last week.

It can simply be conjugated into "to blog", as in...
Whatcha gonna do?
Duh Mom, I'm gonna blog.

(read this next paragraph out loud...it's funnier that way)
In Spanish the verb is "Blogar." Obviously the translated conjugations being "Blogo, Blogas, Bloga, Blogamos, and Blogan" used with Yo, Tu, Ud/el/ella, Nosotros, and Uds/ellos/ellas respectively. In a sentence one might say...
"Holy shit! ?Wela, tu blogas?"

Take some time and work on that conjugation for your homework assignment.

Blog can also be a noun, as in...
"Dude, cool blog."

It actually is an assimilation of words to create a word. When you combine weB+Log in a very uncreative way you get Blog. Blog - Web Log.

I hope this helps or at least makes you smile.

By the by, my email to contact me is mb_goodlife@yahoo.com and my myspace is theinfinitecreativity. Also, sometime when I have time I'd like for you to walk me through posting on Youtube.

Adios from your cousin,
Mike Bisceglia

Val's Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones