Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Clifty Falls State Park

Day 2: Clifty Falls

We spent Tuesday hiking the trails of Clifty Falls State Park with my dad. This is right up his alley. I remember many a Huber vacation in the 1980's, pitching a tent under the stars at state parks across the United States. The vast expanse of natural beauty alive with quiet breath.

But this time, the nostalgic presence of my brother and sister were replaced by the excitement of my son. It was a completely new experience for him.

The beauty of Clifty Falls covers 1,529 acres, preserving wildflowers, wildlife, cliffs, valleys, stone beds, waterfalls, and scenic trails ranging from easy and moderate to rugged.

We let go of our high-tech devices and soaked in the magnificence of nature. DT led the way before retreating to the park with my mom.
Stone and wooden walkways made for easy hiking and viewing of this beautiful place. DT appreciated this kind of hike. But my dad and I would venture out for a more rugged trail later.
The park's naturalist taught us about snakes and turtles native to Indiana today.
The nature center's refugee turtle made a surprise appearance when our naturalist saw how interested DT was in every detail she spoke.
Wildflowers delicately hid color within the naturally rugged terrain of Clifty Falls.

I would have liked nothing more than to stay in the tranquility of this peace, but the Huber fun van was moving. And another day of exploring was ahead.

No comments:

Val's Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones